NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – A neighbor rushed to help an elderly woman escape her burning Newport News home, fire officials confirmed to WAVY.com.
The fire was reported in the 200 block of Bailiff Court just before 1 p.m. Monday. That’s in the Court House Green area of Newport News.
Fire Bat. Chief Stephen Pincus said smoke was showing from the eaves when fire crews arrived at the two-story residence. The fire originated in the kitchen and investigators have ruled it accidental.
The unit was condemned because of the extent of fire and smoke damage. The four people who live there are now staying with family.
There was one woman inside the townhouse when the fire started. According to Chief Pincus, a neighbor heard someone yelling “My house is on fire,” noticed smoke coming from the residence, and ran to help. The woman was not injured.
The fire department ventilated two adjoining townhomes due to the smoke and high levels of carbon monoxide.