Carbon monoxide responsible for death in Newport News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — One person died and another went to the hospital because of high levels of carbon monoxide in a residence on Christian Street, according to firefighters.

Newport News Emergency Medical Services responded to a call about a possible stroke around 12:30 p.m. Saturday on Christian Street near Woodhaven Road, according to Battalion Chief Robert Lee.

According to city officials, carbon monoxide detectors used by EMS crews alerted them to high levels in the home. Officials then rushed a 53-year-old female to Mary Immaculate Hospital. It’s unclear if she was suffering from a stroke or from the high levels of carbon monoxide in the home.

When firefighters went back in to ventilate the mobile home, they found 55-year-old Stephen Alexander Harris dead inside. Harris appears to have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Lee.

NN CHRISTIAN ST CARBON MONOXIDE DEATH 2

The initial investigation shows a propane tank with a heating element attached caused the high carbon monoxide levels, Lee said.

As of Saturday night, Lee could not say if the home had working smoke detectors.

Comments are closed.