Fire under control at Anderson’s Garden Center

Photo courtesy: Newport News Fire Department

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Newport News Fire was called to Anderson’s Home and Garden Center Friday.

According to Chief Stephen Pincus, there was an electrical problem at the business in the 11200 block of Jefferson Avenue.

Fire crews arrived on scene just after 1 p.m., responding to an initial call about an electrical panel on the side of the business that was smoking. The building was evacuated and no injuries were reported.

While firefighters were waiting for Virginia Power to arrive, there was an electrical failure causing the box to burst into flames.

The fire was called under control at 1:50 p.m. Firefighters say the fire was accidental and caused when crews working in the area struck a main underground electrical feed.

Firefighters say the damage was contained to the wires and to the electrical service wires feeding the building. The building was not damaged, but the store will remain closed while repairs are made.

Traffic was briefly affected while crews worked at the scene to disable electrical service.

Comments are closed.