Breast cancer in Virginia is higher than the national average

WAVY

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) – It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but Susan G Komen Tidewater wants you to know breast cancer isn’t a month.

It affects local families like Kayla Houston’s every day.

“I formed a team, team Betty Mac for my Grandma; she was a survivor for 11 years,” Houston told WAVY.com

Komen’s latest community needs assessment shows nearly five women die from breast cancer in the Tidewater area every single week. That means 251 lives lost this year.

The Tidewater Region includes 22 cities and counties. Komen found only one, York County, is expected to meet the government’s goals for ‘Healthy People 2020‘ when it comes to breast cancer detection and mortality. The least likely to meet the goals: Portsmouth, Newport News and Chesapeake.

“All of them have issues with transportation getting people to their treatment, getting people to the doctor’s office,” said Susan G. Komen Tidewater’s Mission Manager Miki Donovan.

Donovan said the organization found bridges and tunnels are a challenge for many.

She said they decided, “We probably need to help supplement with bus passes or gas cards or something for those who need to get to treatment but can’t afford it.”

That’s exactly what this weekend’s Race for The Cure will help them do. 75 percent of the money raised here stays here to pay for things from screenings to survivor care and the other 25 percent goes to research.

If you want to join the Race for The Cure at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront Saturday, you can still sign up.

Go to the Expo at the Lake Wright Quality Inn in Norfolk before 8 p.m. Friday or register Saturday morning beginning at 7 a.m.

The 5K starts at 7:30 a.m. and the walk begins at 8:30 a.m.

10 On Your Side is a proud sponsor of the event.

Click here for race information.

Comments are closed.