HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Firefighters say eight people have been displaced after a fire sparked at a Hampton apartment building Thursday evening.
Battalion Chief Jeff Pereira tells WAVY.com the call came in at 3:47 p.m. of heavy smoke showing from a kitchen at the Cambridge Apartments on Goldsboro Drive.
The fire which started on the first floor spread to the attic, displacing a total of eight people and a few dogs. The Red Cross is helping the families displaced.
Firefighters say a good Samaritan helped remove some pets from the units. That individual was transported to a local hospital. Their condition is unknown.
A firefighter was also transported for dehydration and has since been released.
The fire remains under investigation.