CNU’s “The Commons” dining hall evacuated due to smoke

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Thursday afternoon a kitchen employee at Christopher Newport University reported seeing smoke and called 911. Students and staff evacuated “The Commons” dining hall and the Fire Department arrived to investigate.

Crews checked out the dining hall, roof, and exterior of the building, but did not find any indications of smoke. They did, however, find an unusual heat signature while using a thermal imaging camera and Virginia Power was called to isolate the electrical power.

It was eventually determined that the heat signature which was seen using the TIC was coming from a hot water pipe. No smoke was observed in the investigation.

This incident is classified as a “smoke scare” and no injuries were reported.

Comments are closed.