CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY)- Three families are displaced this morning after a kitchen fire damaged an apartment building in the 1000 block of Libertyville Rd.
S.J. Gulisano with the Chesapeake Fire Department says the fire began in the kitchen of one apartment and has been attributed to cooking.
When firefighters arrived on scene in the Portlock section of the city, they found smoke coming from a two-story apartment complex. The fire had extended into the attic area, but was quickly brought under control at 2:01 a.m.
The three families displaced are staying with relatives in the area.