NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Two men wanted for a shooting on E. Princess Anne Road August 10 were taken into custody Monday afternoon.
Police identified 50-year-old Isaiah Wilson and 22-year-old Kevon Whitehurst as suspects the same day as the shooting. Officers arrived on scene around 6 p.m. to find a man suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. He is in stable condition now at Sentara Norfolk General.
Monday, August 24, just before 12:30 p.m., police took Wilson and Whitehurst into custody without incident in the 400 block of E. Little Creek Road. They are both charged with aggravated assault.
The U.S. Marshal’s Office Task Force assisted the Norfolk Police Fugitive Unit with the arrest.
Community activist and former mayoral candidate Michael Muhammad says he was the target of the shooting. The man who was shot is his friend. Muhammad told WAVY.com Monday that he is grateful to the Norfolk Police Department and U.S. Marshals for taking the suspects into custody.
Muhammad says the problems with Wilson and Whitehurst started earlier in the day on the 10th when Muhammad’s son and Wilson’s son got into a fight. He said the fathers got involved and that’s when one of the suspects threatened Muhammad in front of police officers. He said the two men later followed him and his friends to E. Princess Anne and Ballentine Boulevard, where the shooting happened. He said Whitehurst fired several shots at him and into his car, hitting the driver in the head.
“Unfortunately there are no winners in this. It’s not the type of situation anyone wants to be in, and while I have some issues with the Norfolk Police and the way things were handled, I want to make it clear that no civilized society can exist without policing. So we are not against the police. We want the police to get it right. We think that this time they have gotten it right and we’re thankful to the Norfolk Police Department under the leadership of Chief Michael Goldsmith. And we look forward to seeing this thing all the way through,” said Muhammad.
Muhammad had previously criticized the police department for not following up on the threats made toward him before the shooting.
“If the Norfolk Police won’t protect myself and my family as citizens, we will exhort every means available to protect ourselves,” said Muhammad at a news conference last week.
A police spokesman said at the time the department wouldn’t be commenting on the claims and Muhammad said he would be following up with the “lack of action” by police.
“We stand by the fact that those threats were made and not handled properly and had they been, we wouldn’t be here,” explained Muhammad. “But, that’s not our focus today. Our focus today is the fact that these men are off the street. The streets are safer and we look forward to having this thing adjudicated through the courts.”
Whitehurst has claimed the shooting was in self-defense. Whitehurst told another media outlet that Muhammad and others in his car also fired shots at them. Muhammad denied that claim saying it was a lie. He added, neither he nor anyone in his vehicle that evening of the shooting are considered suspects by police.
According to the Norfolk City Jail website, both Whitehurst and Wilson have been booked and are expected to be in court on Tuesday morning. They are both facing multiple gun and assault charges.