Suffolk police officer charged with strangulation, abduction

Nicholas Mark Thompson (Photo courtesy Suffolk Police Department).

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — It sounds like the latest chapter of a soap opera, and it’s playing out in the Suffolk Police Department.

Suffolk police officer Nicholas Mark Thompson, 34, is behind bars, facing multiple felony and misdemeanor charges. A city spokesperson said Thompson was involved in a domestic incident Wednesday, August 19.

10 On Your Side learned Friday that the alleged victim is also a police officer, Tiffany Valentine. Both Thompson and Valentine were involved in a love triangle with Thompson’s wife, Ida, that led to charges at the end of 2014.

Ida confronted her husband and Valentine, who she suspected were having an affair. Then she accused Thompson of pulling a gun on her and accused Valentine of assaulting her. All charges related to that incident were dropped, after Ida filed for divorce.

Thompson has served as a Suffolk police officer since October 2007. While an internal investigation is conducted into the August 19 incident, Klink said Thompson has been placed on leave without pay.

Document: Warrant of Arrest

Thompson currently faces charges of abduction, strangulation, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, and assault. Klink said she couldn’t go into detail about what happened during the domestic situation, and she wouldn’t identify the female victim or her relationship with Thompson.

Klink did say Thompson was not on duty at the time of the assault, and that it happened in a home on Toddsbury Court. crews found the street is located in the Burnett’s Mill neighborhood.

Neighbors confirmed Thompson lives in a house on Toddsbury Court, but no one witnessed the incident Wednesday night. One neighbor said she came home around 9 p.m. and there were a lot of officers at Thompson’s house, but she didn’t think anything of it. She said she also saw officers at the end of the street. Police would not confirmed if officers were called to the house Wednesday night because of the domestic situation.

Klink said the victim was treated and released from a local hospital. Police are now conducting an internal investigation into what happened with Thompson. Klink said, his case will not be treated differently than any others.

“The police department does look into and will handle the charges as is appropriate, regardless of the person’s status or employment with the city,” Klink  said Thursday evening.

Thompson’s next court date has been set for Nov. 10.

He was initially taken to Western Tidewater Regional Jail. However, intake officers confirm he was transferred to another facility.

Comments are closed.