Crews battle house fire on Greenwood Dr. in Portsmouth

 

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) Portsmouth firefighters battled a house fire on Greenwood Drive between Tazewell Street and Stratford Street early Sunday morning.

Chief Mike Stockton tells WAVY.com crews saw flames and smoke in the windows when they arrived at the home in the 3700 block of Greenwood Drive around 11:31 a.m.

Stockton says everyone who was inside the home was able to escape before firefighters arrived.

According to residents inside the home at the time of the fire, the flames ignited after a candle fell on a mattress in a bedroom.

“I’m just still in disbelief just seeing that just how fast the house burned from a tee-light candle that ignited that mattress like that.” resident Janine Hunter said.

Fire investigators say the home is a total loss. The fire burnt portions of the roof, melted siding and left significant damage to the inside of the home.

“I’m speechless, I’m numb, I’m still trying to process it. That everything is gone,” Hunter said.

Hunter told WAVY.com the fire took everything she owned including memories of her late loved ones.

“I had so many pictures in there. One of my sons had passed away that’s all the pictures I had in there. My husband passed away that’s all the pictures I had in that home.” Hunter said. “They got about 10 pictures out and that’s it.”

Hunter says paramedics took her brother to the hospital for smoke inhalation and an arm injury. He is expected to be okay.

Investigators have ruled the the fire as accidental.

 

Comments are closed.