New safety measures, vouchers in wake of carnival fight

WAVY/Lavoy Harrell

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach City officials announced Wednesday new safety measures for Mt. Trashmore Park, after a large fight Saturday night at the carnival there.

Earlier this week, the city said the carnival would close at 8:30 p.m. (instead of the usual 11 p.m.) through Sunday. Now, the parks and recreation department wants to continue the reduced carnival hours beyond this weekend, and shut down the rest of the park.

That means Friday’s Summer Movie Night is postponed. The city will announce a new date soon.

That decision was the result of a meeting Wednesday between police, the city sheriff’s office, parks and rec staff members and carnival officials. They also decided to increase the number of police officers and sheriff’s deputies patrolling the area, and bring in more lighting.

“We want to assure parents and kids that security will be beefed up at Mount Trashmore in the weeks ahead, to prevent any possible problems,” said Police Capt. Patrick Gallagher, commanding officer of the Fourth Precinct. “We want everyone to have fun and feel safe. There will be no tolerance for violent or illegal behavior.”

The city also wants to pay back the people who were at the carnival Saturday night and had purchased a wristband after 7 p.m. If you are one of those people, you can pick up a voucher at the carnival office located at Mt. Trashmore Park, weekdays between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.

If you want a voucher, bring your wristband or receipt from Saturday night with you. The vouchers will be good for the remainder of this year’s carnival.

The carnival runs through June 23.

Comments are closed.