NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A man broke a window in order to save himself and two children from a burning home in Newport News overnight.
Firefighters said the man and two kids were already outside the home when crews arrived at the residence in the 100 Block of Pear Avenue, just after midnight.
A neighbor who shared her cell phone video with 10 On Your Side said she woke up to lights and sirens, and immediately thought of the children she usually sees playing outside.
“Are they alive? Please let them be alive — just horrific, scary, scary,” said Teressa Rankin, who later learned they had already been taken to a local hospitals.
Rankin didn’t see any flames, but said the smell was overpowering. “It was a really thick smell,” she said. “Not so much the smoke itself, just the smell alone that was really, really strong.”
The man was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for injuries to his hand, and the two children were transported to Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters (CHKD) to be evaluated for possible smoke inhalation injuries.
Newport News Fire Chief R.B. Alley said all three are expected to recover.
The fire was quickly extinguished, Alley said, but caused about $15,000 in damage, and the home was condemned. Investigators said the fire started after food was left on the stove.
The American Red Cross is helping the family of four with food, clothes, and a place to stay.