NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Police have charged the Newport News man they say was shot by a woman when he broke into her home earlier this month.
Anthony Bethel, 25, was released from a local hospital Monday morning and immediately taking into custody by the Newport News Police Department. He was charged with burglary and taken to the city magistrate, according to Public Information Officer Lou Thurston.
Police say Bethel broke into a residence in the 100 block of Grace Drive around 10:30 p.m. April 11. A female resident and her 2-year-old daughter were at home at the time, and at some point, the police say the woman shot Bethel.
Bethel was hospitalized for 19 days, due to injuries received. The woman and her daughter were not injured.
The woman who fired the gun told 10 On Your Side it all played out while she was on the phone with 911 dispatchers.
“I mean, he was coming at me, and I think he was yelling, but you know, it’s one of those things were it was so fast, I don’t know, but all I knew is he was coming at me and I knew if he got past me, my daughter was in the back room,” said the woman, who asked not to be identified.
Bethel remains in Newport News City Jail.
The incident remains under investigation by the Commonwealth attorney’s office.