Electrical short sparks fire at Newport News apartment building

Newport News firefighters battle an apartment fire in the 800 block of Lucas Creek Rd. (Courtesy: Newport News Fire Dept)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters have extinguished an apartment fire that started Sunday night.

Fire crews were dispatched shortly after 9:20 p.m. to Waypoint Apartments in the 800 block of Lucas Creek Road.

The fire spread to the attic of the building causing moderate damage. Two units have been condemned, displacing eight people including two juveniles.

Firefighters say the fire was caused by an electrical short in an outlet in a laundry room.

There were no reported injuries.

Comments are closed.