Woman injured in Newport News apartment fire

(Photo courtesy of the Newport News Fire Department)

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A woman suffered significant burn injuries after a fire sparked in her Newport News apartment, Tuesday morning.

Firefighters say the woman was able to exit her apartment unit at the Courthouse Green Apartments, located in the 300 Block of Civil Court, before crews arrived, shortly after 10:15 a.m.

The victim was airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for treatment. Officials say although the woman’s burns are significant, they are not considered life threatening.

Crews were able to quickly contain the fire to the kitchen and linked it to an untended pot of grease that had ignited.

The fire also spread to other areas of the kitchen and the apartment was condemned, displacing three adult residents. Preliminary damage is estimated to be $10,000.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced residents. Animal control was also called to the scene to take care of two dogs for the displaced residents.

Comments are closed.