Fire spreads from fireplace in Beach apartment building

Virginia Beach, Va. (WAVY) — Flames from a fireplace ripped through a Virginia Beach apartment building Sunday morning, destroying at least two of the units.

The fire was accidental, according to Virginia Beach Fire Chief Jack Crandall, who said that three people were at home when the flames in the fireplace got out of control.

One of the residents got everyone out of his apartment, and alerted other apartments to the danger.

Beach firefighters responded around 2:30 a.m. to Harbor Springs Trail, in the Chimney Hill section of the city.

“The wind was brutal,” said Crandall, who was on scene until just after 5:00 a.m.

It took firefighters at least half an hour to get the flames under control. No one was hurt.

The Red Cross is helping at least ten displaced residents, according to Crandall.

Of the eight units in the building, two sustained heavy fire damage and Crandall said they are likely a total loss. The other six sustained water damage, and half of those may be a total loss as well.

Comments are closed.