Officials: Coast Guardsman shot 2 colleagues, ambushed cops

Adrian Loya (Photo courtesy Boston Herald).

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY/AP) — A search warrant was executed Thursday afternoon at the Chesapeake home of a local Coast Guardsman, who authorities said shot two colleagues and ambushed police officers in Massachusetts.

Authorities allege 31-year-old Adrian Loya, of Chesapeake, shot two female Coast Guard members in Bourne, Ma. It happened around 2 a.m. Thursday at a Cape Cod condo, where the two women lived.

After the shooting, Loya allegedly lit a car on fire to block Bourne police from entering the complex and then ambushed the officers with gunfire. Bourne police said they couldn’t get to an officer who was hit and bleeding for about 15 minutes. Loya was eventually cornered and cuffed.

The series of events left one of the women dead and the other woman and the police officer wounded. Their names haven’t been released.

Neighbors stayed locked inside for hours while police investigated devices Loya planted, which were determined to be fake bombs.

Chesapeake police spokeswoman Kelly O’Sullivan said officers were at a residence in the 800 block of Shoal Creek Trail in Chesapeake Thursday afternoon. She said local officers were helping Massachusetts State Police with a search warrant.’s NBC affiliate in Boston confirmed the residence was Loya’s house.

Neighbors who live closest to Loya were forced to evacuate for several hours on Thursday.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Nate Littlejohn with Coast Guard 5th District confirmed Loya is a Petty Officer 2nd Class, who worked as an information systems technician at electronic support attachment at the Coast Guard base in Portsmouth.

Cape Cod District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said the two female Coast Guard members were stationed in Massachusetts.

Littlejohn said the Coast Guard is working with state, federal and local law enforcement to investigate the shooting. He said the woman and Bourne officer who were shot are listed in critical and serious condition, respectively.

“It’s important for us to express our deepest condolences to all the victims of this crime — the families, the friends of the victims — to express our gratitude to the Borne police officers who responded and to the one Borne officer who was injured and is in serious condition,” Littlejohn said. “Our hearts go out to his family. We thank him for his brave and swift response today.”

O’Keefe said Loya was charged with murder, two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, burglary, armed assault on occupants, two counts of home invasion, arson of motor vehicle, and assault and battery of a police officer.

After his arrest in Massachusetts, Loya pleaded not guilty to those charges. A judge ordered him to be held without bail and to undergo a mental health examination.

Loya remains in the custody of Massachusetts State Police. He is due in the Falmouth District Court on March 23 for a pre-trial hearing.

Stay with for updates on this developing story.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s