SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Employees were evacuated from a Suffolk warehouse because of a gas leak Tuesday evening.
Around 9:40 p.m., Suffolk emergency communications got a call about an odor of gas inside the Ace Hardware Corporation Import Re-Distribution Center on Holland Road.
When first responders arrived, all employees had evacuated, and no one was injured, according to Suffolk City spokeswoman Diana Klink.
When the warehouse was investigated, crews discovered a forklift had struck a gas line inside the facility. Firefighters secured the gas at the meter and ventilated the building. Klink said air quality tests determined the building was free of gas.
Virginia Natural Gas also responded.
Ace management sent home about 15 employees for the rest of the shift, Klink said.