Family retraces steps of missing Portsmouth man

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — It’s been two weeks and there is still no sign of missing Portsmouth man Donta Williams.

Family and friends told it is almost as if Williams vanished on Tuesday, January 20.

“It’s hard to look at,” Williams’ sister Nadine Olden said, as she held a flyer with his picture on it.

Williams’ family has been hanging the missing person flyers throughout Portsmouth. They have also been organizing foot searches.

Williams, who is 22-years-old, lives in Churchland with his grandmother. The two live in the Towne Point Landing Apartments off Towne Point Road. Portsmouth police said Williams was last seen in his apartment complex.

“It’s just hard, looking for him to come through the door any minute, praying and asking the Lord to send him home,” said Mary Williams, Williams’ grandmother.

One of the people Williams needs to come home to is his new fiancee, Terri Douglas. The two have been together for five years and got engaged just before Christmas.

“He has people that love him, that need him,” Douglas said.

Douglas is a student at Norfolk State University. Douglas and Williams’ close family friend, Aaron Lawton, both saw Williams the night he disappeared.

According to Douglas and Lawton, the three had been at a 7 p.m. Bible study at New Abundant Life Christian Center in Norfolk. The church van then dropped off Douglas at NSU and went on to Portsmouth. Lawton said they dropped Williams off on Towne Point Road first, around 9:30 p.m.

“What could have happened from him getting off the van to go home, if he never went in the house,” Lawton said.”Where did he go?”

Douglas said the last time she talked to her fiance on the phone was around 10:30 p.m. Douglas said he was still in the apartment complex, talking to a friend who also lives there. She doesn’t know what happened to Williams after she hung up the phone.

“We have a big future ahead of us, and we have to complete it,” Douglas said. “He has to complete it. He has so many things he has to do. He has to come back home.”

Douglas said Williams doesn’t have a car or a driver’s license. Olden said he would still have his cell phone on him, but it goes straight to voicemail now. He regularly checks in with his grandmother and is in constant communication with Douglas. All of them confirmed it is out of character for him not to be in touch with them.

Olden and Mary Williams said even the smallest piece of new information could help police. Williams’ grandmother said, at this point, she needs closure. She said she still has faith that Williams will come home, but she grows more and more worried as time passes.

“Show us where we can find him at, that will help some, but not knowing is the hardest part,” Williams said.

Police have received a few tips on this case, but their searches haven’t turned anything up. If you know anything about Williams’ case, please call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP℠.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s