Portsmouth apartment fire forces 4 out

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – A kitchen inside a 24-unit apartment building caught fire Sunday night in Portsmouth forcing four out of the building.

Firefighters said the victims are being evaluated for smoke inhalation but aren’t sure if they will be transported from the scene. The flames started around 9:30 p.m. in the 600 block of Dunedin Road.

The blaze began in the kitchen of a unit in the middle part of the building. The fire was under control by 10 p.m.