Deputies investigate murder-suicide in Yorktown

YORKTOWN, Va. (WAVY) – The York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office has confirmed the identities of a Yorktown couple who died in a murder-suicide incident Sunday night.

Around 6:30 p.m., deputies were dispatched to the 300 block of Monument Court after 62-year-old Kurt Kurosawa called 911 advising dispatchers he shot his wife, 40-year-old Merriam Kurosawa.

According to the sheriff’s office, deputies who responded to the townhouse tried several times to contact occupants of the residence via telephone, but were unsuccessful. Deputies then entered and found the couple dead, lying on the floor.

“Upon looking into the residence, [the deputies] could see one person down,” Lt. Dennis Ivey said. “They monitored it for bout 10 to 15 minutes and they noticed what they thought was a second person.”

According to deputies, the suspect and victim were separated, but still legally married. The wife lived at the townhouse where investigators believe Kurt Kurosawa shot his wife and then himself. The investigation indicated the couple had arranged to meet there to sign documents, and that Kurt had planned to murder Merriam Kurosawa.

“Now imagine when we get this call and we find out that they both have children common,” Ivey said. “That was a very frightening situation for our deputies, because we were so afraid we were going to find something had happened to them.”

The sheriff’s office said the couple has three children, ages 16, 13 and 11, who were found safe at the suspect’s residence along Chadwick Court. They have been placed with out-of-state family members.

On Sunday evening, 10 On Your Side was in the neighborhood and spoke to residents.

“From my upstairs window, you could watch them go through the house. You see the lights, room by room, clear the house,” neighbor Jason Bryson said.

Bryson lives directly across from Merriam Kurosawa’s townhouse. He said he didn’t know anything was going on until his wife tried to go to the store.

“Somewhere about 45 minutes into it, we heard a loud-speaker say, ‘Make contact with 911 or approach deputies outside,'” Bryson said.

Bryson and his family watched from inside: “My son started playing around with his binoculars and he saw two snipers, and I called a neighbor and they saw two snipers. I was like, ‘uh ok,'” he said.

But Bryson said deputies never told his family what was happening.

“As the investigation progresses, we will release what we’re allowed to, without jeopardizing a potential criminal case or any type of case,” Master Deputy Mike Russell with the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office said.

“We don’t have this happen very often in York County,” Ivey said. “It’s right after the holidays. It is a tragedy for everybody involved.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s