Man burned in Suffolk apartment fire

Suffolk Towers Apartments

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Suffolk police confirm an apartment fire involving burn injuries Wednesday night.

The fire happened around 9:10 p.m. at the Suffolk Towers Apartments along N. Main Street. The flames ignited when someone fell asleep while cooking in a sixth-floor apartment, according to Suffolk spokesman Tim Kelley.

At the scene, first responders found the apartment full of smoke. The occupant had been able to put the fire out, but burned his hands in the process, Kelley said.

The man was transported to Sentara Obici Hospital with first and second degree burns. He was later transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital for more treatment.

Kelley said fire crews ventilated the sixth floor and residents were able go back inside the building around 10 p.m. He said the resident of the apartment where the fire started will not be displaced from his residence.

60 residents were displaced from the Suffolk Towers Apartments in November for almost a week following a 2-alarm accidental electrical fire there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s