Cooking fire displaces family of 5

Photo provided by Suffolk City

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A residential fire in Suffolk caused about $75,000 worth of damage Monday afternoon.

Just after 2:30 p.m., Suffolk Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to the 800 block of Cripple Creek Lane, according to city spokesman Tim Kelley. First responders found a two-story house with light smoke showing.

Firefighters determined it was a small kitchen fire, and controlled the flames in about ten minutes.

Kelley said no one was injured, but a family of five was displaced. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Fire officials determined unattended cooking caused the fire.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s