Suffolk man sentenced for string of 2013 arsons

Michael Odom Smith (Photo courtesy Suffolk City).

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A Suffolk man was sentenced Monday for crimes related to several incidents of arson last year.

In Suffolk Circuit Court, 29-year-old Michael Odom Smith pleaded guilty to the following charges: manufacturing a fire bomb or explosive device, arson of a dwelling or home, and maliciously throwing a missile at an occupied building. He was sentenced to 17 years in prison with an indefinite supervised probation, upon his release, according to Suffolk City spokeswoman Diana Klink.

Smith was arrested after an incident on October 20, 2013 in the 100 block of Brittany Lane. Around 10 p.m., fire crews were dispatched to the area for a brush fire — the same scene of multiple suspicious fires that had happened in preceding weeks.

When firefighters got to the scene, there was no fire, and they learned a neighbor had already extinguished the flames.

Investigators determined the neighbor’s son, Smith, was a suspect. Police said Smith was drunk and armed with a concealed firearm, at the time of his arrest.

Klink said no one was injured in any of the acts of arson.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s