JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — A cat and a dog have died after a fire sparked at a home in James City County, Monday night.
James City County Fire units were dispatched to the 900 block of Foley Drive, at around 9:43 p.m. after a neighbor reported a fire at the home.
York County Fire personnel were the first to arrive on the scene at 9:48 p.m. and found heavy smoke showing from the residence and visible fire in the living room of the home, according to Assistant Chief Miles Pettengell, James City County Fire/EMS Public Information Officer.
The fire was brought under control at 9:59 p.m. Firefighters say the entire structure suffered significant heat and smoke damage totaling about $60,000 in damages.
The residents were not home at the time of the fire. However, a dog and a cat were found dead at the home.
Fire officials have determined the cause of the fire to be accidental. They have not ruled out discarded smoking materials as a possible cause.