HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — The Hampton Fire Department is investigating what they call a suspicious fire, after flames sparked at a family home, early Tuesday morning.
Firefighters responded to the home along Grimes Road and Somerville Drive, shortly after 2 a.m. Assistant Fire Chief Pereira said one adult and four children made it out safely, after they woke up to the sound of smoke detectors.
“I just thank God me and my boys got out safe,” said resident Felicia Everett, mother of four sons, ages 13, 9, 7, and 4. She said they lost their beds and belongings in the fire.
The fire was contained in about 20 minutes. There was damage to the back of the house that extended to the attic.
A neighbor, Shelly Bowling, said she called 911 after her husband told her about the fire. “Something exploded, we don’t know if it was a gas can or a lawn mower, but the gas meter was over there, so it scared us,” Bowling said.
Firefighters said the family has been displaced and the American Red Cross has been called to help the family. Soon, however, they will have to find another place to live.
Authorities continue to investigate what exactly started the fire.