VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Firefighters have contained flames at the Hampton Roads Recovery Center after a fire sparked early Thursday morning.
Virginia Beach Fire Department Battalion Chief Amy Valdez says they received the call of a fire at the recycling facility, located off Indian River Road and Centerville Parkway, shortly after 3 a.m.
The fire department tells WAVY.com a large trash pile, estimated to be 300 feet by 300 feet, caught on fire. Officials say the fire was difficult to fight and they even called in HRSD personnel to assist the fire department with moving heavy machinery.
Once the fire was knocked out, heavy smoke could be seen rolling across Kempsville Road.
Valdez said crews will remain at the scene to monitor hot spots.