VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Police have arrested a suspect accused of leading police on a chase before smashing into several vehicles at a Virginia Beach shopping center and fleeing the scene on foot.
Virginia State Police arrested 30-year-old Sam A. Palma and charged him with a long list of things, including possession of stolen plates, hit-and-run, eluding and driving with a suspended license.
On Oct. 5, a VSP Trooper attempted to pull over a silver Honda, around 4:40 p.m., for having altered license plates. The Honda hit the trooper’s vehicle then sped away. The Trooper began to chase the driver along Pacific Avenue and then down Shore Drive, but the driver got away. Moments later, authorities found the crashed Honda at a strip mall just west of the Lesner Bridge. Police said the Honda hit two other vehicles, a fence and a jet ski trailer.
After wrecking the vehicle, police said the man jumped out of the driver’s seat and fled. Witnesses saw him take off toward the beach.
Palma was arrested Thursday and is being held without bond at the Virginia Beach jail.
A full list of Palma’s charges can be found below:
1. No Virginia safety inspection
2. Fail to display license plates
3. Operating an unregistered vehicle
4. Display fictitious registration
5. No liability insurance
6. Driving while suspended/revoked 7th offense within 10 years
7. Possession of stolen plates
8. Felony hit and run on a marked State Police car
9. Hit and run on property exceeding $10,000
10. Felony elude
Palma appeared before a judge on Oct. 15 and was denied bond.