NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A soldier from Norfolk, but stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C. died Sunday after a traffic incident in Fayetteville.
Officials say 32-year-old Staff Sgt. Wadiyah Northern was involved in a vehicle crash that ended her life over the weekend. According to the XVIII Airborne Corps, the incident is under investigation.
“Staff Sgt. Northern was an amazing noncommissioned officer,” said Col. Mark D. Collins, 82nd Sustainment Brigade commander. “Her presence will be missed within our organization and our deepest condolences go to her family.”
Northern joined the Army in June 2000. She was the unit supply non-commissioned officer in charge and headquarters platoon sergeant for the 403rd Inland Cargo Transportation Company, 330th Transportation Battalion, 82nd Sustainment Brigade.
Northern’s awards and decorations include the following:
- The Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Army Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award
- Army Superior Unit Award
- Army Good Conduct Medal fourth award
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon third award
- The Drivers Badge