VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — There was a warm welcome home Tuesday night for a Virginia Beach student who suffered a severe injury overseas.
Sam Murphy returned from Germany to a cheering crowd. Last month, he stepped on a transformer and got shocked. Doctors say 20,000 volts of electricity shot through his body. Because of that, they had to amputate his left hand.
WAVY.com talked with him at the airport about finally being able to come home.
“I’m excited. I’ve been ready to come home for a long time now,” he said. “Laid in the hospital for a long time. Now that I’m finally home, it’s just, it’s hard to believe, but now I’m here … All the prayers from all these people they helped. God heard them all.”
The Landstown High School grad was supposed to attend Hampden-Sydney College, but the accident put that on hold.