Kitchen fire displaces Suffolk family

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A Suffolk family has been displaced from a home in the Driver area after a fire Monday afternoon.

At 2 p.m., emergency communications learned of a residential fire in the 4300 block of Nansemond Parkway, according to Tim Kelly with the city of Suffolk.

Fire units arrived at the scene six minutes later and found smoke coming from the eaves of a single-story brick ranch. They were able to control the flames by 2:20 p.m., Kelly said.

Only one person had been inside the home when the fire started, but he was able to exit without injuries before firefighters arrived.

Kelly said the fire started in the home’s kitchen and spread to the attic. Fire investigators say the incident was accidental.

The American Red Cross is assisting three adults and one juvenile who have been displaced from the home, due to fire damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s