PORTSMOUTH, Va (WAVY) — Chef Bob Hirasawa from Farm Fresh makes magic in The Hampton Roads kitchen once more. This time he whips up some amazingly delicious savory pies that anyone can make: Tomato Pie and a Bacon-Jalapeno Tomato Pie. Plus, he shows us the scrumptious fresh breads, bakery items and colossal doughnuts Farm Fresh has to offer.
We challenge you to make one of these pies, take a picture and let us know how it turned out in the comment section below.
Locations Across Hampton Roads
Find the one closest to you at
Tomato Pie Gratin
Serves 6-8 Prep time: 20-30 minutes Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Frozen Pie Shell (9” Deep Dish) 1 each
Large Tomatoes 4 each
Sweet Onion (Diced) ½ Cup
Green Onions 2 Stalks
Fresh Basil Leaves (chopped) 12 leaves
Italian Seasoning 1 Tbsp.
Granulated Garlic 1 tsp.
Kosher Salt 1 tsp.
Ground Black Pepper ½ tsp.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese 1 Cup
Shredded Italian Blend Cheeses 1 Cup
Mayonnaise or Plain Greek Yogurt 1 Cup
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F and heat a large pot of water (half full) in stove top.
- Defrost Pie shell and poke with fork a number of times across bottom to prevent bubbling, cook in oven for 8 minutes, until slightly browned. Allow to cool.
- De core tomatoes and score an “X” across the bottom of tomato, drop into boiling water for about 30 seconds, remove and drain, the skin of the tomato will peel off easily, then chop tomatoes to a large dice, place into colander to drain off excess juices.
- In large bowl combine diced onions, chopped green onions, basil, Italian seasonings, garlic, salt and black pepper, mix well and fill in pie shell.
- In a bowl combine cheeses and mayonnaise or Greek yogurt.
- Spread cheese mixture over top of pie.
- Bake in oven until cheese becomes golden brown….about 20-25 minutes for Conventional Oven about 15-20 minutes for Convection Oven.
- Remove from Oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Some of my favorite variations are with addition of cooked bacon or cooked sausage or jalapenos or other peppers. To make any of these add directly to tomato mixture.