NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – A road construction project in the area of Tidewater Drive and Little Creek Road in Norfolk is taking a little longer than expected.
The City of Norfolk originally said the underpass improvement project would be complete Labor Day weekend. Now, a city spokeswoman says the work there won’t be done until late October.
There’s a detour in place, but drivers say they’re frustrated because it takes them through a neighborhood behind Southern Shopping Center.
Pack your patience if your commute takes you through there. You can count on WAVY News 10 to keep you updated on the progress.
Traffic information (provided by the City of Norfolk):
- The Tidewater Drive underpass (which runs underneath E. Little Creek Road) will remain closed.
- On E. Little Creek Road, crews will maintain at least one lane in each direction at the underpass.
- Northbound Tidewater Drive traffic heading to the shopping centers can continue north on Tidewater Drive unimpeded to/from shopping center entrances/exits.
Northbound Traffic heading to E. Little Creek Road and areas north will be detoured:
- Right at Central Business Park Drive;
- Left onto Denison Avenue;
- Left onto Sewell’s Point Road;
- Arrive at E. Little Creek Road.
Southbound Tidewater Drive traffic heading from E. Little Creek Road will be detoured:
- Straight at Little Creek and Tidewater Drive;
- Right at Sewell’s Point Road;
- Right at Denison Avenue;
- Arrive at Tidewater Drive.
- Motorists may also use Chesapeake Boulevard and Granby Street as alternate routes.