PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Chef Bob Hirasawa from Farm Fresh makes chicken-under-a-brick with lemon herb potatoes.
Locations Across Hampton Roads
Find the one closest to you at
Give the recipe a try, then come back and leave us a comment below about how it turned out.
Chicken Under Brick (pan) with Lemon Herb Potatoes
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 20minutes Cooking Time: about 30 minutes
Whole Chicken Fryer 1 each
Olive Oil 3 Tbs.
Lemon Zest from one lemon
Fresh Lemon Juice from same lemon
Farm Fresh Grilling Seasoning 1 Tbs.
Chopped Fresh Garlic 2 Cloves
Fresh Thyme Leaves 2 full Sprigs
Olive Oil 3 Tbs.
Fingerling Potatoes 2 lbs.
Sweet Onion 1 each (medium)
Lemons 2 each
Garlic Cloves 3 crushed
Fresh Thyme Sprigs 3 each
Fresh Rosemary 2 Stalks
- Turn oven on to preheat to 450°
- With a knife or shears remove the back bone of the chicken (discard).
- Press down on chicken and lay the chicken out flat, if you want to remove the breastbone, tuck or remove the wing tips.
- Combine the Olive Oil, Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Grill Seasoning, Chopped Garlic and Thyme Leaves to coat and rub into and around Chicken.
- Heat large fry pan on Medium High Heat, once hot lay the Chicken skin side down.
- Place Cast Iron Skillet on top of Chicken this will press the chicken down on to the fry pan. Cook for 15 minutes.
- While the Chicken is cooking, Cut Onion into small wedges, cut Lemons in half, crush Garlic Cloves and break up Thyme and Rosemary combine with potatoes in Cast Iron Skillet sitting on top of chicken.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Once Chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, remove and place Cast Iron Skillet on lowest rack position.
- Place second rack on next position, remove chicken from the fry pan and place chicken skin side up directly on oven rack over skillet with potatoes. Baste chicken with any juices left in the fry pan.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, allowing the chicken juices to drip down on to the potatoes.
- Check Chicken for doneness, using meat thermometer insert into thickest part and internal temperature should reach 165°
- Check Potatoes for tenderness with knife or fork and mix to coat with juices.