8 displaced by overnight fire

Booker Street house fire

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Two adults and six children were displaced after “careless smoking” caused their home to catch fire late Wednesday night, according to the Hampton Fire Department.

Photos: Residents displaced by Hampton fire

According to Assistant Chief Jeff Pereira with Hampton Fire and Rescue, dispatchers received a 911 call at 11:46 p.m. for a working fire on Booker Street.

When crews arrived, there was heavy fire showing in the front of the one-story house and through the roof.

“Heavy fire was observed venting from some of the front windows of the residence. The fire had advanced into the attic space. A large portion of the roof structure was destroyed as a result of this incident,” Pereira said.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames to the home where the fire started.

The residents of the home were able to safely get out of the house before firefighters arrived and have requested assistance from the American Red Cross.

The Hampton Fire Marshal’s office investigated and determined the fire started between the cushions of a couch, due to careless smoking. The fire has been ruled accidental, Pereira said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s