Cable TV installation blamed for fire

Suffolk Fire and Rescue responded to a residential fire in the 300 block of S. Broad Street on Aug. 20, 2014. (Photo credit: City of Suffolk)

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Investigators say an improper cable television installation sparked a fire in Suffolk Wednesday afternoon.

Fire crews arrived on scene in the 300 block of S. Broad Street at 1:49 p.m. That’s in the Lakeside neighborhood.

A preliminary investigation revealed the fire started in an upstairs apartment of the two-story residence. A cable installer had accidentally drilled into a main feed power line, which sparked the fire, damaging the inside and outside of the upstairs apartment, according to city spokeswoman Diana Klink. The installer and the occupants, including two adults and two children, all made it out safely.

Dominion Virginia Power also responded to the scene and Suffolk Police assisted with traffic control.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s