Navy relieves Norfolk submarine commander

Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa (Photo provided by the U.S. Navy)
Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa (Photo provided by the U.S. Navy)

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The Navy relieved the commanding officer of a Norfolk-based submarine on Friday.

In a news release, the Navy said Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa was relieved of command of the Los Angeles-class attack submarine by the commander of Submarine Squadron 6 at Naval Station Norfolk. Tarsa was relieved of duty due to a loss of confidence in his ability to serve effectively as commanding officer, the Navy said.

Christopher Tarsa (Photo by Chesapeake police)
Christopher Tarsa (Photo by Chesapeake police)

Lt. Tim Hawkins, a Navy spokesman, said he could not confirm if relieving Tarsa of his command had anything to do with him being arrested earlier this month in Chesapeake.

“The Navy is aware that Cmdr. Tarsa was arrested by local authorities … [it] would be inappropriate to speculate on any further actions by the Navy, given the investigative process that is ongoing,” Hawkins said.

Chesapeake police spokeswoman Kelly O’Sullivan said 41-year-old Tarsa was arrested by officers on August 9 and charged with domestic assault.

Tarsa assumed command of USS Newport News (SSN 750), which is homeported at Naval Station Norfolk, on Aug. 2, 2013. He was administratively reassigned to the staff of Commander, Submarine Force Atlantic.

The Navy said Cmdr. Roger Meyer, deputy commander at Submarine Squadron 6, has assumed command of USS Newport News until a permanent replacement is named.

blog comments powered by Disqus