PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – Chef Bob Hirasawa from Farm Fresh brings some Asian-inspired dishes to The Hampton Roads Kitchen: Hibachi Beef Teriyaki, Sunomono (Cucumber Salad), Coconut-Pineapple Rice and some delicious desserts you can only find at Farm Fresh.
Locations Across Hampton Roads
Find the one closest to you at
Hibachi Beef – Teriyaki
Serves 4 Prep Time: 15 minutes + 1 hour (Marinating) Cooking: 15 minutes
Flat Iron Steak 1 each
Soy Sauce 1 Cup
Sake Wine ½ Cup
Chicken Stock ½ Cup
Brown Sugar ¼ Cup
Chopped Garlic 2-3 Cloves
Fresh Ginger Juice 3 Tbs.
Thinly Sliced Scallions 2 Stalks
Toasted Sesame Seeds 2 Tbs.
- In sauce pan, combine the Teriyaki Sauce ingredients, mix well and heat to low boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Allow sauce to cool to room temperature.
- Pour over Flat Iron Steaks, marinate for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat grill or broiler.
- Remove beef from marinade, transfer marinade to sauce pan and heat to simmer and allow marinade to simmer and thicken while you cook the Flat Iron Steaks.
- Cook Steaks on a charcoal or gas grill or under a broiler.
- Once steaks are cooked to your liking, allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. (Slice across the grain of the steaks)
- Pour some of the sauce over the steaks, save the rest to be served on the side.
- Garnish with Sliced Scallions and toasted Sesame Seeds.
Cucumber Salad (Sunomono)
Yield: About 4 Portions Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cucumber (thinly sliced) 2 each
Carrot match sticks ¼ cup
Salt 2 tsp.
Rice Wine Vinegar 1/2 Cup
Mirin 2 Tbs.
Sugar ½ Cup
- In bowl sprinkle salt over cucumber slices and mix well, let sit for 5 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with cold water. Add carrot sticks.
- Combine rice vinegar, mirin and sugar, pour mixture over cucumbers and carrots mix well, allow to sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes.
2 Tbs. Canola Oil
½ Cup Diced Onion
2 Cups Uncooked Long Grain White Rice
2 Cans Coconut Milk
1 Cup Pineapple Juice
1 Cup Crushed Pineapple
1 Cup – divided Toasted Coconut (reserve for garnish)
- In large pot, heat Canola Oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in Onions cook for 5 minutes until Onions turn clear.
- Add the Rice, stir, then the Coconut Milk, Pineapple Juice and Crushed Pineapple.
- Stir and bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, cover.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add ½ of the toasted Coconut.
- When ready to serve, top each serving with toasted Coconut.