Lightning causes Newport News house fire

Report It/Lucy Cook
Report It/Lucy Cook

NEWPORT NEWS,  Va. (WAVY) — Fire officials say lightning caused a house fire in Newport News Tuesday evening.

Around 6:20 p.m., the Newport News Fire Department learned of a house fire in the 400 block of Wyn Drive, according to Assistant Fire Chief Robert Craft. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the garage.

The fire was contained to the garage and controlled by 6:27 p.m.

Craft said the fire was electrical in nature and started near the electrical panel box after lightning struck close to the house. Nearby residents told they heard a loud crack and glass shattering.

No one was injured, but Craft said the resident requested assistance from the American Red Cross for one adult and four children.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s