Man killed in York County house fire identified

FD: Fire was caused by electrical problem

YORK COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — The York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office has identified a man who died in a house fire Friday night as 38-year-old William Bender, and officials say the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

Around 8 p.m., dispatchers received multiple 911 calls from passersby and nearby residents about a house fire in the 500 block of Allens Mill Road, according to Assistant Chief Paul Long with the York County Fire Department.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from a two-story home. Crews were able to control the flames in about 15 minutes, and conducted a search of the structure.

Bender’s body was found inside the home, Long said. There were no other injuries.

According to the York-Poquoson Sheriff’s Office, Bender was living in the home with his sister. She was not in the house at the time of the fire.

The Sheriff’s office said there is no indication of foul play

Monday, Assistant Chief Paul Young with the York County Fire Department said the cause of the fire was an electrical problem in the home.

No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this developing story.

blog comments powered by Disqus