Wives talk about husband’s bigamy arrest

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The two women married to a Suffolk man charged with bigamy gave 10 On Your Side two very different accounts of the tangled web of lies that duped them.

WAVY.com learned Kareem Giles was married and divorced from a another woman before meeting either one of his two most recent wives. While some might see him as a bit of a ladies man, a bigamy conviction would make him a felon, too.

After his first marriage in 1994 ended in divorce, Giles got married again in 2005. The honeymoon phase didn’t last long. Danielle Giles said a little over a month after saying “I do” she walked away.

“He wasn’t sure if he was in love with me or her, and I was 20-years-old and upset and emotional, and I said, ‘well, if you don’t know who you love after me giving you a son and marrying you, then I’m leaving,” Giles told WAVY.com.

They’ve been separated for nine years, but never officially went through with the divorce. So, it wasn’t Kareem that Danielle Giles was upset with after hearing that he’d taken vows again.

“He said that he was drunk and ended up getting married at some little rinky-dink place, and he spelled his name wrong and everything,” Giles said.

10 On Your Side found Kareem’s middle name is spelled differently on marriage license #3 from 2013. But wife #3 said he was definitely sober when he indicated she was his second wife after a previous divorce. She said neither of them were drunk when they tied the knot.

Wife #3 didn’t want to be identified, but said she started hearing rumors shortly after they got married. Five months passed before Kareen finally fessed up.

“We were happy, we were in love, we went to the courthouse, we were married around 10:30 in the morning, married right after we got our license by the judge,” the woman said. “I felt betrayed for the longest time, ashamed because a lot of people have seen this and witnessed what’s been happening with my life.”

She said she asked for an annulment and Giles said he’d finally get his divorce finalized for another chance with her. But after several more months of being strung along, she contacted police.

“He told me he was going to take care of it,” she said. “He told me he made appointments with attorneys. He sent me text messages that he was going, none of which was true.”

She said those attorneys he mentioned never had a record of any appointment.

Stay with WAVY.com as we follow developments in this case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s