94-year-old man rescued from burning Chesapeake home

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – A 94-year-old man was rescued from a burning home in Chesapeake Wednesday morning.

Captain Scott Saunders with the Chesapeake Police Department said a 911 call came in around 6:25 a.m. about a fire at a home in the 700 block of Oak Grove Road.

“One of our guys saw the fire, and went out and called 911, and they came and rescued him,” said Amanda Clifton with C.W. Petty Contracting. The company has an office next door to the home that caught fire, and some workers were the first to spot the flames.

“Initial calls reported there may have been a male trapped inside the house,” Saunders told WAVY.com. “Our crews arrived about five minutes later and found flames coming from the one-story house.”

A man was indeed trapped inside the home, and Saunders said firefighters were able to get inside and rescue him.

The man was taken to a local hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and he was being checked for burns. WAVY News’ Ava Hurdle reports the man was unconscious when he was found, but was revived as he was being transported. As of 11 a.m. Wednesday, he was listed in critical condition.

Amanda Clifton, who works next door to the house, said she’s known the victim for at least 11 years. She said he is a military veteran who likes to tell stories — an all around nice guy.

“He doesn’t have any family, and so, we’re pretty much all he’s got,” she said. “It’s hard to see it, an elderly man like that who doesn’t have anybody, and something happens to him like that.”

Clifton said all she can do now is send prayers his way.

It appears the fire started at the back of the house, which was badly damaged. Fire officials have not yet said what sparked the flames.

Stay with WAVY News 10 for the latest information.

Scene of house fire in Chesapeake on July 23, 2014. (WAVY/Deanna LeBlanc)
Scene of house fire in Chesapeake on July 23, 2014. (WAVY/Deanna LeBlanc)
blog comments powered by Disqus