HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – Hampton Police have identified a suspect who they are seeking in connection to a string of burglaries that started two months ago.
According to Cpl. Mary Shackelford with the Hampton Police Division, several commercial burglaries have occurred since May where the suspect’s behavior has been very similar. On July 22, police identified the suspect as Derrick Barnes.
Shackelford said the most recent burglary happened Tuesday night at the Hong Kong Restaurant, located in the 600 block of Aberdeen Road.
Police said the burglaries happened at a variety of businesses, from pizza shops to nail salons. In each of the incidents, the suspect (or suspects) got into the business by smashing the glass in the front doors. Once inside, the suspect or suspects took cash, electronic devices or other merchandise.
One of the businesses hit was the Foleck Dentistry Center off Cunningham and Executive drives. It happened overnight June 17, and the suspect(s) made off with a 40-inch, Sony flat-screen TV from the front lobby. That morning, scheduling coordinator John Kelly said there was glass everywhere and a huge stone left behind.
“The glass was shattered, we didn’t know what had happened. We saw the rock on the floor and the TV was gone,” Kelly said.
The same thing happened at Philly Joe’s Steak Shop off Briarfield Road 10 days later.
“Apparently this is happening very often, so in reality, look at the wall, now we have no TV for the customers or even myself,” said Carmen Muniz, owner.
Muniz hopes police will soon catch the suspect(s). Police have a picture from the burglary at Hong Kong restaurant and hope anyone who can identify him will call police.
“These are local businesses. They’re having to go back and fix doors, replenish the revenue that is taken out, the items, the electronic devices that are removed,” Shackelford said. “That’s all things they have to replenish and at the same time continue to run their business.”
List of targeted businesses provided by the Hampton Police Division:
- 5/27: Andrea Pizza 1100 blk W. Mercury Blvd
- 6/10: Nail Luv Salon 4000 blk of W. Mercury Blvd
- 6/12: Nail Pizzaz 2400 blk of Cunningham Dr
- 6/13: Firestone 100 blk of Marketplace
- 6/17: Foleck Center 2400 blk of Cunningham
- 6/20: Plasma Care 1st blk of Settlers Lndg
- 6/27: Joes Steak Shop 1500 blk Briarfield Rd
- 7/6: CJ’s Tattoo 2800 blk W. Mercury
- 7/8: Stir Fry Chinese Res 3900 blk Kecoughtan Rd
- 7/8: Hampton Boat & Rv Storage 4300 blk Kecoughtan Rd
- 7/11: Riccos Pizza 1st blk of W. Mercury
- 7/13: Anna’s Pizza 2800 blk of N. Armistead
- 7/11: Mugzy’s 1300 blk of E. Pembroke
- 7/15: Hong King 600 blk of Aberdeen Rd
Police have only provided a surveillance image from the most recent burglary. If you have any information, call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.