CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – A family of five was displaced from their home after a fire broke out during a strong storm Wednesday evening. Chesapeake Fire Captain Scott Saunders confirmed Thursday the fire was sparked by a lightning strike.
Crews responded shortly after 5 p.m. to the home at 1315 Bainbridge Boulevard to find heavy smoke coming from the two-story structure. They had the fire under control within 15 minutes. Most of the damage was contained to the attic and the second floor. The rest of the home received smoke and water damage.
Capt. Saunders said a neighbor called in the the fire.
There were no injuries.