OUTER BANKS, N.C. (WAVY) – The threat of Hurricane Arthur is causing closures throughout the Outer Banks.
The National Park Service is closing the following facilities:
- All NPS campgrounds (Ocracoke, Frisco, Cape Point and Oregon Inlet) will close at noon Wednesday and will remain closed until further notice. Additionally, the Ocracoke campground reservation system has been suspended.
- Silver Lake Marina NPS docks will close at noon Wednesday.
- Ocracoke and Hatteras Island NPS Visitor Centers will close at noon Wednesday and will remain closed until further notice.
- Bodie Island Visitor Center, Wright Brothers National Memorial and Fort Raleigh Historic Site will be closed Thursday and Friday. Evening programs scheduled for Wednesday have been canceled until further notice.
- Lifeguard operations at Ocracoke, Buxton and Coquina will close at noon Wednesday and will remain closed until further notice.
- The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will close at noon Wednesday and will remain closed until further notice. All special programs at the park have been canceled until further notice.
- The Bodie Island Lighthouse will close at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. The climbing reservation system will be suspended beginning Thursday.
- All NPS beaches will be closed to off-road vehicles by 9 p.m. Wednesday and will remain closed until further notice.
- The Buxton and Ocracoke Off-Road Vehicle Permit offices will close at noon Wednesday. The Bodie Island Off-Road Vehicle Permit office will close at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources has closed the following sites from noon Thursday through noon Friday:
- Currituck Banks Reserve near Corolla
- Kitty Hawk Woods Reserve in Kitty Hawk
- Emily and Richardson Preyer Buckridge Reserve in Columbia
- Buxton Woods Reserve on Hatteras Island
- Rachel Carson Reserve in Beaufort
The Port of Morehead City is also closed to inbound and outbound vessels.
Stay with WAVY.com for more closings and cancellations due to the storm.