Man burned during Va. Beach apartment fire

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A man in Virginia Beach sustained burn injuries on his forearm during an apartment fire Monday night.

Crews arrived at 531 Spring Lake Circle around 8 p.m. for a kitchen fire at the Linkhorn Bay Apartments, according to Terry Tassone with the Virginia Beach Fire Department.

A resident and his friends were cooking fish when the fire started, Tassone said. Someone put oil in a pan, walked away, heard popping of oil from the other room, and when one of the friends went back into the kitchen, the pan was on fire. The friend tried to remove the pan and put the fire out, but ended up burning his arm from the elbow down to his hand.

Tassone said the 30-year-old man received first and second degree burns.

The fire was extinguished around 8:40 p.m.

There is extensive fire damage to the apartment where the fire originated, and some damage to the unit next door. Right now it is not known how many apartments have been affected or how many residents will be displaced, due to the fire.

No further information has been released. Stay with for updates on this story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s