SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Emergency crews have secured a gas leak in Suffolk after several nearby residents were made to evacuate Monday afternoon.
A contractor hit a gas line, causing a leak, in the 7100 block of Arrington Street, according to Timothy Kelly with the city of Suffolk. Emergency dispatchers were notified of the leak just before 3 p.m.
Fire-rescue crews and police responded, and about a dozen people were evacuated from the area as a precaution, Kelly said.
Columbia Gas crews secured the line and performed a test. As of 3:45 p.m., residents were allowed back into their homes.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this developing story.