Hampton house fire started near dryer

WAVY/Chopper 10

HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Crews extinguished a house fire in Hampton Friday afternoon, and officials say it began near a dryer.

Assistant Fire Chief Tracy Hanger told WAVY.com fire units were called to the 0100 block of Newby Drive. Dispatchers received reports of fire at a two-story house there around 4:30 p.m.

The initial 911 call reported someone was trapped inside the home, but after a search of the residence, firefighters determined no one was there, according to Assistant Chief Jeff Pereira.

There was heavy smoke coming from all four sides of the house when crews arrived, and Pereira said the fire caused heavy damage.

Pereira said cause of the fire was accidental.

The American Red Cross was called to assist one adult, who was displaced from the residence.

No further information has been released. Stay with WAVY.com for updates on this developing story.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s