NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – Police confirm the 19-year-old man shot and killed in Newport News Sunday night was shot in two prior incidents in 2013.
Lou Thurston with the Newport News Police Department said officers found Rachard Lewis lying on the ground in the 1100 block of 22nd Street the night of June 22. He had been shot in the head. Lewis died at the hospital the next day. There have been no arrests yet.
Harold Eley with Newport News Police told WAVY.com Lewis had been shot twice before. In March 2013, he was shot three times at the corner of 25th and Chestnut, while walking to a corner store.
In August, he was shot at a house party in the 2300 block of Oak Ave. A witness told police Rachard and his brother got into a fight with three people at the party. Lewis was shot in his lower back and the owner of the house, a 47-year-old man, was also shot. They both received non life-threatening injuries.
In both of the 2013 shootings, police say Lewis was uncooperative with investigators.