VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach school board members have decided on a plan for make up days for next year.
Jennifer McCarrel with Virginia Beach City Public Schools said the school board’s calendar committee was asked at the June 2 meeting to come up with a plan for make up days the 2014-15 school year. At Tuesday night’s meeting, the committee presented the following recommendations to the board:
- Use teacher work days first
- Then use certain single holidays, like President’s Day and Memorial Day
- If necessary, add minutes to the end of the school day
- A flexibility disclaimer was added so the superintendent has the ability to determine which additional days will be added, if necessary
- Make up schedules will not involve Saturdays, but could take away from spring break or winter break
McCarrel said the recommendations were passed, but not by a unanimous vote. Three out of 11 board members cast dissenting votes.
The make up days plan applies only to the 2014-15 calendar year.